Considering that I sit in an office all day programming and such, it is very important I eat healthy and keep active. Of course my Fitbit helps with that, but it doesn’t discipline me or give me ideas to use for food and workout.
This week has also been crazy. I don’t even have time to workout coming in at 6 am and leaving at 4 pm at the earliest. Then there are chores, errands and all the yawning and caffeine in between. These are some key tips and rules I follow.
1. One thing people love is coffee. Caffeinated lattes full of syrups and whip cream. Justify that it is your coffee of the day, your morning treat… fine, but all those calories are NOT good for you. I am the same way. I loveeeee my coffee, iced lattes are especially my favorite. What I do to counter the calories is get all my drinks made with skim/non-fat milk or soy milk. I even have brought Starbucks a thing of Almond milk before to make my drink. Say no to the whip cream and syrup and you can really enjoy your coffee without sacrificing your favorite morning latte.
2. BREAKFAST is SO IMPORTANT – Believe what you want, but eating a breakfast every morning is key to starting your day and kick starting your metabolism into gear. It helps you maintain your weight and eating habits a lot more easily. Simple fixes are yogurt, fruit, almonds, Kefir or Kashi Go-Lean whole grain cereals. I personally will do this 2/5 days a week, but I LOVE my breakfast. Starbucks and Panera are my quick stops in the morning if I don’t have time to cook my own or want the cooks at my job to make me breakfast. They have great low calorie sandwiches with egg whites, spinach, wheat flat breads, etc. for a healthy quick fix. I have yet to mention my addiction to Hot Sauce yet, but essential to all my breakfasts. Egg white omelettes, veggies, turkey sausage and always Rye or Whole Grain breads are the way to go.
3. HOT SAUCE is ESSENTIAL to me. Hot sauce is very good for your metabolism. The capsaicin which creates the heat speeds up digestion and your metabolism in a good way. Frank’s Hot Sauce, Sriracha and Chipotle Tabasco sauces are all apart of my diet.
4. SALADS are so goof for filling up and eating a lot without all of the adverse calorie effects. I eat salads 1-2 times a day and they are my favorite food. Anything just tastes better over a fresh bed of lettuce to me.
5. STOP EATING WHITE BREADS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Literally switching everything white to whole grain is the most essential thing for your diet. It is so much better for you and your digestion and you can really tell. I personally think that Rye and Whole Grain breads taste millions times better than a plain bagel or very white slice of bread.
6. SNACKING is the best. I snack all day long and it helps so that I don’t reach a starving point of the day. Carrots with dip, almonds, grapes and yogurt are all apart of my snacking of the day. The small amount of calories is not something I hate to sacrifice if it saves me from gorging at the end of the day.
7. My last tip is for Stoners. Now I understand munchies…. I understand more than most. I get them very frequently. It is a great to have all these little healthy snacks stocked up, pre-cut and dip made before you smoke or before you get tired because then your snacking dilemmas are already solved. I don’t want to hear an excuse for eating horrible foods either. 1-2 times a week is okay if you can keep a steady diet for the rest of the week.